- Originally, the story of Jack of the Lantern, had him carrying a turnip with a coal from Hell in it, being the first jack-o-lanterns.
- Pumpkins are a squash indigenous to North America.
- Pumpkins can be boiled, baked, steamed, or roasted, and you can eat just about every part of the plant, including the flowers.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of protein, zinc, and are said to lower cholesterol.
- The medicinal properties of pumpkin include anti-diabetic, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory.
- Dogs, cats, and chickens can eat pumpkin and its considered a good supplement to their diet.
I also recently discovered that pumpkin puree (you get in the can) can make low-fat cake and brownies. I made some wonderful cupcakes with cake mix and pumpkin puree…that’s it. You mix together and back and viola! Tasty cupcakes!
I want to try this low-fat brownie mix with pumpkin text.
I also suggest making pies in muffin tins. It makes them perfect for portion control, and can be tons of fun to make with kids. (Perfect pastry to filling ratio too!)
What are your favorite pumpkin craft or recipes?
NOTE: Pumpkins did not do well this year, so you may find a shortage in your local stores. If you click on the pumpkin can photo, you can order online.