- Write in Active Voice and avoid Passive Voice. Daily Writing Tips
- Add words to your vocabulary by reading. Use a dictionary and look up words, and includes new words in every day speech. Dictionary.com
- Learn proper grammar and punctuation. Remember these are your tools to craft a story. Write Away! Writing Checklist.
- Learn to think for yourself as a writer to determine which rules (guidelines) you will follow and which ones you want to break. This one is my quote after years of learning methods, tips, and tricks.
- Read your writing out loud. Too often we get lost in our writing and forget the rhythm of sentences. 7 Reason Why You Should Read Your Book Out Loud.
Forge ahead without bogging yourself down with too many rules, while being mindful of guidelines.